The Latin Quarter

So, as it turns out, being sick on a business trip isn't all that much fun. However, feeling better and enjoying food (and sleep) once again couldn't be more appreciated than in Paris.

Today, I could finally taste my first real French fare, without feeling like I was going to hurl.

When I awoke, feeling famished, I decided that what I needed was a real breakfast. I have to admit, I'm not real keen on the French "P'tit Dej" consisting of little more than black coffee and a croissant or some other sweetbread. I decided that I needed a classic, the Egg McMuffin. I know, I know. But, breakfast just isn't breakfast without some protein. I must say, that McD's impressed me here. It was very similar to back home, but the breakfast was much more complete, nutritionally speaking, than either classic North American McD's or classic French Breakfast. Also, it cost way less than a classic French breakfast. Breakfast in Paris can easily run €6-7, whereas McD's was only €4.50. It consisted of a Bacon Egg McMuffin, two pancakes, a fruit and yogurt cup, orange juice and a coffee. Yum. Start the day of right. Oh, I must say though, the coffee doesn't hold up against typical coffee here. Although it's much better than the swill at home.

The morning meetings went well (at least it wasn't me being torn apart) and I "invited" myself along with part of the American delegation for lunch. We went across the street to a Bistro. I ordered the Croque Norwegien, basically the french version of a melt, with smoked salmon and cheese, I think emmenthal or gruyere.
Very good, served with a side salad and french fries. It was a little heavy though, I would have preferred less cheese and it almost overwhelmed the delicate flavour of the salmon. Also, it was too much food; I couldn't eat it all. Unfortunately, I was a little embarrassed about taking pictures for my blog, so I didn't. You'll have to imagine it.

For dinner, after tramping down the Champs-Elysees, myself and two colleagues Metroed it over to the Latin Quarter for dinner. This was my place. Restaurants everywhere inviting you in (and that's no literary styling, the proprietors actually stand outside and beckon you in). We finally decided on a certain cafe, based mainly on my
desire to have mussels as part of my forumlaire (see previous blog for explanation). It started off with mussels with a light white wine cream sauce. The mussels were succulent, tender and small, and plentiful for a starter. Also, the sauce made excellent soppage (as is to be expected), of which I made great use of with the provided crusty bread.

The main course demanded Beef Bourguignon, or basically, French Beef Stew. It was amazingly flavourful with tender beefy bits and a side baked potato. Again though, too much for me to eat…

For dessert, I chose the “Speciale du Chef”, or dessert of
the day. A simple apple tart with decadently rich vanilla bean ice cream; a perfect finish with a cup of coffee.

All that was left was a tiny Tunisian honey-almond pastry on the way back to the metro and there I was, writing my blog.

Tomorrow brings new adventures in ea
ting, as I’ll have some more exploring time, but I have to tell you, there are a few more restaurants in the Latin Quarter I wouldn’t mind checking out…

Oh, and by the way, photos and blogger are pissing me off, so you'll have to see the pictures on facebook.

Comments

  1. Glad you feeling better!!! Did you bring the flue from Canada with you! Hope everything is going well.Looking forward to the next blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts