The French Connection

Well, here I go. I promised that I'd try to write every day about my culinary pursuits. If you're interested in my travel thoughts and such, definately check out my facebook album. I'll add new pictures as they become available.

It's been an exhausting two (really, two?) days. It's seems like I was just driving out of Deep River. As I sit here, munching the last of my baguette dinner listening to the men outside working with some type of massive light on a Genie lift (I'm presumming it's for a movie), and indulging my Chopin addiction, I'm trying to figure out if I'm jet-lagged or just really tired. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, although, it's 22:00 here, so it's not unreasonable to be tired...but with a 4 hour nap...

What should I say about food? I guess that first off, I should give Air Canada props, the food wasn't bad. Its definately not superurb, but with the limitations that have, it wasn't bad. I tasted fairly good and didn't make me sick. The tomato and cucumber salad was especially tasty. Also, the service, prompt, friendly, and attentive, was better than I get in most resturants. If only I could've slept.

By the time I got to the hotel, I was so tired, I just had a nap. Then I woke up hungry, famished actually, so I ate a power bar. Then I proceeded to have another nap. Then, on waking again, I launched into my first day's adventure. Upon walking out the hotel room entrance, I was welcomed by the smell of freshly baked bread. Perfect. This was going to be a good day.

I figured I'd walk down to the OECD and than around to the tower and the arc if I wasn't too tired. I actually didn't stop for anything to eat until a cup of coffee near the Eiffel Tower. It was really good; somewhere between an espresso and a regular coffee. Strong, but not bitter. Strange how a street vendor selling the French equivalent to hot dogs and gyros (a baguette with a hole pressed into it filled with a hot dog or a crape wrapped-up like a gyro) can make better coffee than most places here. But than again, I probably wouldn't pay $4 for a cup of coffee here either...

I continued on to the Arc de Triomphe and on the way passed a little bakery. I windowed shopped for a few minutes thinking about all the deliciousness inside, and then continued on, thinking, "there'll be more bakeries". I then thought, why wait, you want to experience french baking, try something! So I tried the ham and cheese croissant and it was delicious. Obviously made with much so care.

I passed many cafes and brasseries on my way home and I liked two things. Firstly, they all have their menus posted outside (I think that it's a legal requirement). Also, most places have a "Formula" which is, for a fixed price, a choice of starter, main and usually dessert. Kinda like a choose your own Table d'hote.

Being tried and fundamentally not liking dining alone, I decided to grab some Paris fare at the grocer near my hotel. I grabbed some whole milk lemon yogurt (my favourite flavour), a pear, some water and on the way back, I grabbed a baguette from a local bakery. The bread was delicious. Why does it taste so much better here. Is it something in the ingredients or method, or is it just the atmosphere? I'm going to bring home some Parisian flour, so I should be able to make some quantifiable judgment.

Well, there's a pile of unread work staring at me and a pretty confortable bed calling my name, so I must end here. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more adventures in munching.


Comments

  1. Vive La France!!! My mouth is watering and I would like noting moore then one of does french baquettes and some of that lovely
    french cheese with a bottle of wine.Have some for me please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex,
    how is it going.waiting for the next blog to hear about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts