Recipe: Fried Leftover Pasta

As promised, I would like to distribute to the world one of my favourite pasta recipes. While not really a sauce, it is one of my favourite pasta preparations.

It all begins with leftover pasta. When I make pasta, I usually make extra just so that I have some to make this dish. Although the dish can be made with freshly cooked pasta, the drying action of the fridge makes the pasta crisp better and leads to an overall tastier dish. I usually aim for about 1/3 to ½ pound. I prefer short pastas like farfalle, but I have made it with spaghetti before.

With some (approximately 1 tablespoon) heated neutral-flavoured oil (vegetable, canola, peanut or the like) and 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan or well-seasoned cast iron pan, add the pasta and toss to coat well in the oil. Stir the pasta occasionally. We’re aiming to creating some browning. If the pasta is sticking, add some more oil.

While the pasta cooks and you’re occasionally stirring, beat 2 eggs with about 1 tablespoon of water. Also grate and have ready about ½ to ¾ cup of grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano or another hard, nutty cheese. When these tasks are done, add some freshly ground black pepper to taste to the cooking pasta. I also like to add salt here, but don’t tell anyone, my blood pressure and all…

When the pasta is well browned in spots and has softened back to the consistency of freshly cooked pasta, add the egg and cheese to the pan. Let the egg cook for about 10 seconds and then start stirring the pasta. The aim is to create little eggy bits. It is also at this time that I sometimes like to add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach to the mix.

When the egg is cooked and the spinach, if included, is softened and wilted, you’re ready to go.

Enjoy!

Ingredient List:
1/3 to ½ tbsp. leftover, refrigerated pasta
1-2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 eggs + 1 tbsp. water
½ to ¾ cup fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
1-2 handfulls (~4 cups, loosely packed) fresh baby spinach, if desired

Comments

Popular Posts