Ganache Expectations

I really have nothing to say. It's mostly laziness and sloth. I could say that before Christmas and during the month after I was busy with lots of business and family type things, but it would be a mostly hollow excuse. I could have found the time, but I didn't. To those of you that actually expressed your disappointment in the apparent cessation of these musings, thanks; I like to hear things like that. To those of you that didn't; you're no longer my friends...

I jest. A cooking experience this weekend with people who truly love food and the culinary experience reminded me why I wanted to start writing in the first place. I love food; the science, history, culture and mostly the effect that it has. Also, I love people; being with people, talking with people and expanding and sharing my experiences.


Cooking for people energizes me to create. Nothing is more stimulating then knowing that there are people willing and ready to appreciate what you've created. I imagine that some people are content to create in solitude, but I love to share. Also, I suppose that I kinda enjoy being the centre of attention...


So, for my return, I present a stupefying simple yet sensually seductive recipe (Alton Brown might be proud of my alliteration...). I was inspired by the awkwardness of s' mores. Isn't it annoying how the perfectly toasted marshmallow is adulterated by the tooth-breakingly hard chocolate and the resulting destruction of the graham cracker? I thought to myself, would it be great if the chocolate was spreadable?

Then it hit me: ganache! A simple chocolate ganache could be spreadable and the perfect vehicle for other flavour "additions". Super simple to make - I chopped up some milk chocolate and melted it slowly over low heat with a little bit of cream. I adjusted the thickness by adding a little more chocolate (I'd probably go for a heavy-cream consistency) and added some chocolate liquid for an added kick (I believe it was an Italian liquor with chocolate and grappa). I let it cool and when it was thickened a bit more, I whipped it a little with a whisk to incorporate some air, giving it a smooth and spreadable consistency.


The girls liked it. I liked it. It was good. Next time, I might try a little KahlĂșa and some instant espresso powder for a mocha twist. Also, homemade marshmallows...

Comments

Popular Posts